What is an Autism Spectrum Disorder (ASD)?
Autism Spectrum Disorder (ASD) is a diagnosis for people who have deficits (present in early childhood) which are persistent in 4 main areas of development:
- Social communication and social interaction across multiple contexts
- Restricted, repetitive patterns of behavior, interests, or activities
- Unusual responses to sensory input
- Impacts on social or occupational functioning (to a clinical level)
What is the best treatment?
Research over the past 20 years has consistently shown the importance of giving children with ASD early intervention. The brain is more easily changed at an early age and patterns of restricted behaviour are not so entrenched. Currently research suggests children gain the most benefit from intensive therapy up to the age of 6 years of age. It is suggested that parent and significant people in the child’s life are involved in the treatment and that the total number of hours the child is receiving evidenced-based programs is 20-40 hours/week.
There is currently no known cure for ASD, however a number of approaches have been shown to be effective in the treatment of ASD. Some of the programs proven to be effective include: Early Start Denver Model (ESDM), Applied Behavioural Analysis (ABA), Pivotal Response Training (PRT) and Picture Exchange Communication System (PECS) and PROMPT speech technique. There are other approaches (Gluten free, Hanen –More Than Words, Floortime DIR, sensory integration) which have been shown to be effective with select types of children but not others. An experienced clinician can advise you on which programs may suit your child and family.
Services Offered at Simone Friedman SLS:
- Full day Intensive ABA Therapy –”STAR School”
- Social Skills Groups
- Parent & School Training
All services to people with Autism Spectrum Disorders (ASD) are based on the holistic Applied Behavioural Analysis (ABA) approach. The program selected for you or your child is tailored according to level of ability, age, your availability and budget. We use both naturalistic (play and interaction) and formal behaviour modification (ABA, IBI) to help people with ASD to develop new skills.
Some of the Skills worked on include:
- Communication (using and understanding language)
- Social Skills (understanding and taking part in interactions and situations)
- Behaviour (paying attention, coping with restrictions and emotions and sensory issues)
- Motor Skills (using the body and hands)
- Cognition (learning concepts like shapes, colours)
- Hygiene and Self Help (bathing, toileting etc.)
- Life Skills (housework, planning, money skills)
- 1-on-1 sessions between 45 minutes and 1.5 hours
- At the clinic downtown or at your child’s school, daycare, home or community activity
STAR School – FULL DAY Intensive ABA Program (Speech- Toronto- Autism- Routine (Full & ½ day offered)
Wednesdays for 8-12 week blocks
Full Day Program 8.30-5.30pm (9 hours) based on the Early Start Denver Model
Up to 6 children with ASD to allow for social-communication training.
Program led by a highly trained SLP with 15 years experience with ASD. In addition, support will be provided by a Communication Disorders Assistant.
Call to reserve your child’s place for January !!