Parent Coaching at Therapy Spot
Historically, coaching has held its roots in athletics. Over the last two decades; however, coaching has since broadened its scope and has become very popular with individuals who want to improve their executive leadership skills and/or personal development goals. As the popularity of executive leadership and personal coaching has increased, so too has the evidence-based practice of parent coaching. Research is clearly pointing towards the importance of coaching parents on therapeutic techniques they can use at home, as a way to generalize the improvement a child makes from a therapeutic setting to the home. Parent coaching arms the parents with the skills and techniques they need to do therapy at home. At Therapy Spot, parent coaching is offered by our Board Certified Behaviour Analyst, ESDM Certified Therapists, Speech-Language Pathologists and Hanen Certified Speech-Language Pathologists. Coaching can occur during individual treatment sessions involving both parent and child. Parents participate in setting their own target goals. The program then coaches the parents to reach mastery of the chosen skill under the guidance of the therapist using on site-training and video feedback. Group sessions are also offered as a way to facilitate communication and emotional support between parents who are going through similar experiences.
How Are Services Offered at Therapy Spot?
Before we can begin treatment, we need to complete an assessment to answer the following questions:
- What are your communication needs in the context of your daily life?
- What are the cognitive, communication, speech, or language difficulties that may affect your ability to participate in your pre-accident life (i.e, work, school, family interactions, community involvement)?
- What would you like to achieve in these settings (work, school, community etc) and how can we help to make you successful?
Assessments at The Therapy Spot:
- Interview of the individual, their family, or important communication partners
- Review of case history (pre-injury status, academic, employment status, medical & rehabilitation history, etc.)
- Comprehensive assessment of
- Communication (listening, speaking, reading, written expression, discourse, conversational interaction, social communication)
- Cognitive skills required for communication (attention, memory, organization, reasoning, problem solving, executive functions, self-regulation)
- Consideration of potential contributing factors (fatigue, sleep disturbance, visual disturbance, hearing, mental illness, stress, etc.)
- Swallowing (If needed)
- We do on-site hearing tests for understanding speech and language
- Selection, administration, and interpretation of standardized tests
- Functional evaluation of school, work, family, or community communications (current status and communication demands)
- Consultation with other professionals or review of their reports as indicated
- Preparation of a comprehensive report
- Collaboration with client in the preparation of Goal Attainment Scale meaningful Goals
An individualized 12-week (most often) plan is developed for you.
The plan takes into consideration
- your assessment results,
- your current needs,
- goals you want to achieve
- Task analysis of each goal in order to break it down into sub-steps that can be achieved over a 12 week period.
Decision on where Treatment will take place:
- your home
- your work-place
- your school
- our clinic
- Treatment would focus on your meaningful life goals while still working on neuroplasticity and cognitive improvements.
- All Treatment would be team based and collaborative. You will never feel tested.
- Goals will be broken down into achievable steps and each therapeutic session will target one of those sub-steps to allow for continued progress.
- You will be able to see the progress each week.
- Further evaluation of progress will occur at 6 week and the 12 week mark.