Concussion Therapy in Toronto
Therapy Spot has years of focus in TBI and Concussion
- We have over 17 years of expertise in the area of Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI) therapy in Toronto.
- We do research specifically in the area of evidence-based treatment approach.
- We have expertise on therapy approaches and we them to the masters students at UFT.
- We have expertise on TBI and the inter-relationship with Mental Illness and Pain.
- We have contributed to the writing of the Mild Traumatic Brain Injury Guidelines.
- We have written guidelines on behalf of the Ontario Speech Language Association on the Catastrophic. Impairment Definition.
- We provide evidence-based client centered therapy and our goals are meaningful and data driven.
Simone Friedman (CEO of Therapy Spot) and Ophelia Reid (Clinical director of Therapy Spot) have developed a system for stroke management that assess and treat:
- Cognitive (memory, attention, executive functions)
- Communication (Reading, writing, understanding, speaking and social skills)
- Speech (muscle system and the coordination of the muscle system)
How Are Services Offered at Therapy Spot?
Before we can begin treatment, we need to complete an assessment to answer the following questions:
- What are your communication needs in the context of your daily life?
- What are the cognitive, communication, speech, or language difficulties that may affect your ability to participate in your pre-accident life (i.e, work, school, family interactions, community involvement)?
- What would you like to achieve in these settings (work, school, community etc) and how can we help to make you successful?
Assessments at The Therapy Spot:
- Interview of the individual, their family, or important communication partners
- Review of case history (pre-injury status, academic, employment status, medical & rehabilitation history, etc.)
- Comprehensive assessment of
- Communication (listening, speaking, reading, written expression, discourse, conversational interaction, social communication)
- Cognitive skills required for communication (attention, memory, organization, reasoning, problem solving, executive functions, self-regulation)
- Consideration of potential contributing factors (fatigue, sleep disturbance, visual disturbance, hearing, mental illness, stress, etc.)
- Swallowing (If needed)
- We do on-site hearing tests for understanding speech and language
- Selection, administration, and interpretation of standardized tests
- Functional evaluation of school, work, family, or community communications (current status and communication demands)
- Consultation with other professionals or review of their reports as indicated
- Preparation of a comprehensive report
- Collaboration with client in the preparation of Goal Attainment Scale meaningful Goals
An individualized 12-week (most often) plan is developed for you.
The plan takes into consideration
- your assessment results,
- your current needs,
- goals you want to achieve
- Task analysis of each goal in order to break it down into sub-steps that can be achieved over a 12 week period.
Decision on where Treatment will take place:
- your home
- your work-place
- your school
- our clinic
- Treatment would focus on your meaningful life goals while still working on neuroplasticity and cognitive improvements.
- All Treatment would be team based and collaborative. You will never feel tested.
- Goals will be broken down into achievable steps and each therapeutic session will target one of those sub-steps to allow for continued progress.
- You will be able to see the progress each week.
- Further evaluation of progress will occur at 6 week and the 12 week mark.